zukes


on ,

No comments

This may sound odd, but I don't like bread.

Along those same lines, I don't like cake. Forget the airy fluff and give me some condensed goodness (cookie cake is where it's at). Funny enough, this "refined" bread preference was one of the first things Lang and I bonded over. It went like this...

               Lang: "I know this probably looks weird, but I don't eat the hamburger bun because I don't
                          really like bread. It's not a low car thing or whatever.. I just don't like it."

               Kate: "Me too! Tell me your thoughts on cake."

We served pie at our wedding.

There are some exceptions however. This usually includes restaurant baguettes, pretzel buns and the occasional sweet bread. The recipe below is an exception. It is loved by both Lang and I and hopefully all bread lovers and haters alike.



Zucchini Bread
adapted from More With Less

3 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 cups raw, peeled grated zucchini
1 tablespoon vanilla

3 cups flour (I did half all-purpose and half whole wheat)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 teaspoons cinnamon

1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease two 8" bread pans. Combine the first six ingredients in a mixing bowl. Beat well. Sift together the dry ingredients (flour - cinnamon). After sifted, add to the zucchini mixture and stir until blended. Add nuts if desired.

Pour into the 2 greased bread pans. Bake 1 hour; remove bread from pans and cool.


Leave a Reply